I did it! I made it to the finish line of the 2026 ForRangers Ultramarathon. What was once an idea in 2024 came to fruition and the fundraiser blew me away. Over 5 days, I ran for 8 to 10 hours a day, carrying everything I needed on my back. Towards the end of the first day, I had the thought, what did I get myself into? This was my first stage race and only second time in Kenya. I never know how extreme endurance events will go, but I always tell myself to just start and then deal with problems as they come up. Unfortunately, problems came up before I even landed in Kenya as my luggage with all my race kit was lost! I had to rely on the kindness of the other racers and event organizers to help me get a new kit together and get to the starting line. Once I did, my body remembered the training, and I knew what to do, keep moving forward.
Starting in Lewa Wildlife Conservancy, the beneficiary of the fundraiser, made it all worth it. They rolled out the red carpet for me and expressed their gratitude for supporting them. I saw the gym that the previous ForRangers races helped build and got to meet several antipoaching team members. They were even at one of the checkpoints where they cheered me on and took videos interviewing me for their social media. Meeting the men and women of Lewa was a treat and it reminded me that my discomfort was only a fraction of what they live with on a daily basis protecting wildlife.
"I’d be alone for hours and then hear, “Jambo!” from the bushes and see a wave and a big smile. They knew the pain and exhaustion I was experiencing and offered a nod of recognition, camaraderie, appreciation, and respect."
Getting up with the sun and setting off into these esteemed conservancies was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Passing giraffe, rhino, herds of zebra and elephant, and running through pristine landscapes is something few get to do on foot. Meeting the rangers along the course, hiding under trees and scouting the area, was the best part. I’d be alone for hours and then hear, “Jambo!” from the bushes and see a wave and a big smile. They knew the pain and exhaustion I was experiencing and offered a nod of recognition, camaraderie, appreciation, and respect.
The week feels like a whirlwind, I am not sure how I got my body to keep waking up and moving, but I thought about the fundraiser and the reason I was there. Your contribution and support meant the world to me and to these rangers. It made the suffering more tolerable, and I crossed the finish line with relief, pride, and astonishment at what a group of people can accomplish. The race itself fundraised over $89,000 to be donated to rangers and Save the Rhino and I am just shy of hitting my personal goal of $7,000. That’s huge!
I can’t thank you enough for your donation and support from afar. I wanted to give up many times, but knowing that you all were cheering me on, kept me going.
With gratitude,
Amy Willis Philanthropy Manager
Tags: Ker & Downey World Travel