I am finishing packing for my 3,5 weeks in the south Pacific, and so excited!
Tell me, where are you this week?
We have been taking a summer break from tours since we launched Solo Female Travelers but we will return in September with tours to Georgia, Armenia, Tuscany and Tanzania.
And we have a surprise for you.
Now, onto this week's travel tip. I wanted to talk about a catchy topic: Hit & run tourism.
And if you have not listened to it yet, this week's podcast had me and Dr. Vincie Ho talking about the subconscious colonising mentality that is pervasive in all of us, especially those of us from the Global North, when we travel.
How to recognise it, how to be more aware of it, how to challenge it, and how to change it. This is an episode that is full of food for thought and that I hope will at least plant a seed in you, like it did for me.
|
How not to contribute to hit & run tourism
Have you heard of this term?
I think it is pretty fitting sentence to its meaning.
I refers to the travelers who visit a place on a day trip. They go on a multi-spot excursion hitting (and I use this word intentionally) many places in a day, getting off the bus to take a few selfies and then going to the next stop only to do the same.
They spend minimal time at each, learn a few superficial things about the places they are ticking off and contribute barely anything to them, other than traffic, crowds and challenges for those who call the places home.
I think you already have a few images in your head of the type of tourism I am referring to, and I am sure you have seen it before or maybe even participated in it.
I have seen it so many times. In the Amalfi Coast, in the Greek islands, in Spain.
Cruise ship tourism is often like this, seeing a place in just a few hours ticking off many places in a short period of time without really getting to know them or contributing to the economy in any meaningful way.
But it is not just cruises; Boat trips to the Amalfi Coast from Naples, 3 country trips from Barcelona going to France and Andorra, the 3 island boat trips from Split with lunch onboard, etc.
It's a type of tourism that generally takes more than it brings, because travelers do not spend much at each place, they don't spend much or anything at each, and therefore do not positively contribute to the economy.
However, they take up space for the locals to go about their daily life, contribute to traffic jams, make walking in the streets impossible and generally worsen the quality of life of those who live there to the benefit of the few selling the tours and driving the guests.
How can you avoid negatively contributing?
For once, slow travel that spends more tome at each destination positively helps the local economy, and also helps you have a better experience because you don't have to walk the streets when they are most crowded and unpleasant.
Dubrovnik is terrible from 10am to 5pm but returns to a regular level of business when cruise ships depart. If you stay there, you can enjoy it in the early morning and in the evening.
Try to go in the off season, when it is far less busy and popular and when life does not revolve around tourism.
If you can only visit a place on a hit & run experience, you could also at least try to contribute to its economy, learn about it and familiarise yourself with its history. Talk to the locals, eat a meal, avoid queue in for photos, do not trespass private property, do not litter, etc.
Have you seen this kind of tourism anywhere else? Tell me about it!
Have you heard of 1440 news? Meg and I read their daily newsletters and they are a good summary of the news, sometimes even good!
And apparently many of you read it too based on the number of responses we got to my last few newsletters. Give it a try and let me know how you like it.
|
Have a wonderful rest of the week.
Tags: Solo Female Travelers
= Trip is confirmed
= SOLD OUT
= I or Meg will co-host these trips
Cuba:
Bali:
Oaxaca
Japan
Iceland:
Georgia:
Armenia
Scotland:
Australia
Xmas markets
Morocco
Tanzania Value safari + Zanzibar
Egypt
Tanzania Luxe safari + Zanzibar
Galapagos sailing
Antarctica
Caribbean island hopping
Swedish Arctic:
Ecuador & The Galapagos:
Croatia Sailing
Madagascar