It was announced today that the Irish Open is set to return to Northern Ireland in 2015 and 2017.
Royal County Down Golf Club will host next year’s event from May 28-31 while, in a first for Northern Ireland, the tournament will be staged at the Lough Erne resort in Fermanagh in 2017.
Making the announcement at Royal County Down Golf Club, First Minister the Rt. Hon. Peter D Robinson, MLA said: “When Northern Ireland hosted the 2012 Irish Open we staged an incredibly successful event, which not only exceeded our own expectations but it also became the first European Tour event in history to sell out.
“More than 130,000 spectators travelled to the north coast to see the world’s golfing elite in action and the feel-good factor that it generated created a huge sense of civic pride. I have no doubt that next year Royal County Down will be equally successful.
“In addition to having three major golfing champions, Northern Ireland is home to arguably the best concentration of great golf courses in the world. With the Irish Open secured for 2015 and 2017, we look forward to building on the legacy of events such as the Irish Open in Royal Portrush in 2012, last year’s highly successful G8 Summit and the World Police and Fire Games.”
The deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said: “The 2015 Irish Open being staged at Royal County Down and 2017 Irish Open at the Lough Erne Golf course is tremendous news not just for golf fans but for all of us.
“Securing the 2015 and 2017 competitions will be a significant boost for the tourism industry and wider economy. The success of local golfers on the international stage offers us the perfect platform to promote the north of Ireland.
“I thank the European Tour for their vote of confidence. High profile sporting events like the Irish Open generates global exposure and the Executive is determined to play its part in making the events a resounding success. The Executive supported Royal Portrush in 2012 which had record breaking attendances and I am confident the 2015 and 2017 competitions will be just as successful.”
Next year will see Northern Ireland host the Irish Open for only the second time in the last 60 years and it will be the first time in 76 years that the event has been played at the world famous links in Newcastle.
Enterprise, Trade and Investment Minister Arlene Foster added: “The positive images beamed across the globe during coverage of the 2012 Irish Open at Royal Portrush Golf Club brought with them immeasurable positive PR for our tourism product. We know Northern Ireland is a world class golfing destination and a place that should be on every golfer’s ‘must play’ list. Events like the Irish Open help us to deliver that message on the international stage.
“Royal County Down is a spectacular course and the spectacular scenery around the coast will provide a wonderful backdrop for coverage of next year’s Irish Open.”
Arlene Foster added: “I very much welcome the European Tour’s decision to stage the Irish Open at Lough Erne in three years’ time. Having already played host to the some of the world’s most powerful leaders during the G8 summit last year, it will now host some of the world’s greatest golfers.”
“Northern Ireland is establishing a worldwide reputation as the home of great events and I look forward to the Irish Open being part of that in 2015 and 2017.”
