ΔΙΕΘΝΗΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΗΛΕΚΤΡΟΝΙΚΗ ΕΦΗΜΕΡΙΔΑ ΠΟΙΚΙΛΗΣ ΥΛΗΣ - ΕΔΡΑ: ΑΘΗΝΑ

Ει βούλει καλώς ακούειν, μάθε καλώς λέγειν, μαθών δε καλώς λέγειν, πειρώ καλώς πράττειν, και ούτω καρπώση το καλώς ακούειν. (Επίκτητος)

(Αν θέλεις να σε επαινούν, μάθε πρώτα να λες καλά λόγια, και αφού μάθεις να λες καλά λόγια, να κάνεις καλές πράξεις, και τότε θα ακούς καλά λόγια για εσένα).

Δευτέρα 31 Αυγούστου 2026

Travel tip #170: Essential gadgets for a long haul flight

 

And just like that, summer is already past half way through in the northern hemisphere, just like winter is half way through in the southern hemisphere - hello to you Aussies!

I am currently on the last few days in French Polynesia, one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Go follow me on Instagram to see what I am up to in stories and what we will do on our tours. After I return, we will finalise the details of our itinerary.

Spoiler alert: It will include swimming with whales, mantas, sharks and so much more. We will stay at luxury beach resorts in some of the most stunning islands in the world and learn more about the beautiful Polynesian culture.

Don't miss out when we launch and join the waitlist here.

Before we begin this week's newsletter, we want to acknowledge the devastating flooding unfolding in Nepal-Tibet. Our hearts are with those who have lost their lives, their loved ones and everyone whose homes and communities have been affected.

We are keeping the people of Nepal and Tibet, and all nationalities affected, in our thoughts and prayers, and hoping for the safety of those still at risk and for strength for the communities and emergency teams facing the enormous recovery effort ahead ❤️

show
#2 | How to Support and Not...
Apr 14 · Solo Female Travelers
60:45
Spotify Logo
 


Essential gadgets for a long haul flight

I take around 15-20 long haul flights every year and have been doing so for over 20 years.

I am sometimes lucky enough to fly Business class but most of the times, I fly Economy.

This means that I have mastered the art of making these long flights comfortable, or at least bearable, and this week, I wanted to share my gadgets with you.

But before we get started, it's important to remember that being able to travel, especially long haul, is an incredibly privileged thing to do, and I find that reminding myself about this before any long and uncomfortable trip is always a good way to set myself up for a good trip.

When I get tired, I get annoyed by a noisy passengers or a crying baby or turn around in my seat for the nth time, I remind myself this is a fortunate pain to go through, and try to curve my entitlement. I don't always succeed, and when more than one long haul flight, delays or overnight trips kick in all together, it's hard to fight the need to vent. Meg knows that since she is on the receiving end. After all, I know she will understand me and have compassion for the less fun part of the job.

Now, onto my favorite gadgets, here is what is inside my handbag when I fly long haul:

  • My noise cancelling Bose headsets are a non-negotiable. I can't even understand how it took me so long to succumb to the size and space they take because the completely changed my life. Exposure to noise can really up your stress levels and airports and planes can be pretty noisy. I wear my headset the moment I arrive at the airport and do not take them off until I am in the taxi or bus at the destination. If I need to make sure I listen to announcements, they have an "Alert" button that lets more sound come through. The battery lasts almost 24 hours and I have never run out half way through a trip, even if it's a long haul one. It also charges quickly.
  • My Manta sleep mask, great to block light in the plane and at the destination. So many hotels don't have blackout curtains it's not even funny. My mask has bluetooth connectivity to listen to calming music and is made for side sleepers like me. I have the Pro model and the regular mask for when I don't need the bluetooth
  • My loop ear plugs. This is a recent addition that I got from my partner who wears them all the time everywhere. He is neurodivergent and they help him filter the noise down in the big cities or crowded spaces. I use them to sleep in the plane. They are better than the regular squashy ear plugs and so far I am liking them quite a lot. They are also a back up in case my Bose headsets run out of battery or I am sharing with a snorer.
  • My turtle travel pillow saves me from a bobbling head in Economy and works pretty well for me. I don't like any of the traditional neck pillows because they make your head tilt forward which is uncomfortable
  • My phone holder / selfie stick is a nifty simple little item that replaced my last one. I keep losing them because I forget them in places but this doubles up as a selfie stick for recording videos and a holder for the phone when I am in the plane. It's light, cheap and easy to use. I always watch my own movies in the plane and holding the phone for a few hours is not practical.
  • My cross-body bag where I keep all my valuables, passport, money, cards and lip balm comes with me on every trip. On a long flight, I take it off and out it inside the seat pocket in front of me or hang it from the arm rest if I am in the window seat. I have one similar to this one in shape and size, but made of leather, that I bought locally.
  • An AirFly headset adaptor. I actually just purchased this before this last long haul flight because I had heard it being mentioned by other members of the group. I did not have time to buy it online as it would not have arrived on time and then I actually saw it in an airport shop in Brisbane, so I got myself the Airfly Pro 2 Deluxe which comes with the two-pronged adapter for airline entertainment systems. It worked really well on my flight to New Caledonia and it connected to my Bose headset straightaway. What a game changer from using the airline headphones!! Never traveling without it again.
  • A travel adaptor, so I can charge my electronics inflight. Most planes have universal plugs but lounges or airport common areas do not. I have one with USB ports as well as regular chargers.
  • My battery pack. Nowadays, I am not sure anyone travels without, I know I don't because I keep it all in my phone so I need it up and running. Mine is Anker and is pretty old now but I can recommend any of the Anker products.
  • Hand cream, lip balm, nail oil, hair brush are all essentials to curve the dryness inside the cabin and look preentable. I also have a travel toothbrush and toothpaste.
  • My travel fleece from Uniqlo which has inside pockets where I keep my passport and lip balm. It keeps me warm when it is freezing, which it almost always is in airports and flights, and it goes with me everywhere. It doubles up when I land if it is cold or if a room has the AC cranked up to the max when I check in and I am freezing. I can machine wash it and it lasts forever. I am on my second one.
  • My Grayl filter water bottle because there is nothing worse than being dehydrated on a plane. Even in Business class I feel like airlines never give you anywhere near the amount of water you should drink so I can use my Grayl to filter tap water at the airport before the flight (or from the lounge if I have access to it). I also bring an empty water bottle to fill, so I have the Grayl and the water bottle filled before a long flight. The Grayl could also be used to filter plane lavatory water.

I also asked the community to share what gadgets they use to make their long haul flights more comfortable and there were a couple of suggestions I wasn't aware of but have now bought. The power of community!

  • A few members mentioned foot rest so their feet didn't dangle from the seat. There are all kinds of them, from foldable steps to hammock style ones.
  • A seat cushion seems like a great idea since some seats are so hard and uncomfortable...

Check the rest of the suggestions here.

Tags: Solo Female Travelers