I am on my last days in New Caledonia, a big island in the South Pacific north east of Australia, that is an overseas territory of France.
Many of you asked me where it is or said you had to open Google maps to locate it, so here are a few fun facts:
- They use their own currency, the Pacific Franc, which is the same that is used in French Polynesia, but are part of France.
- There are about 250,000 inhabitants, more than half of which live in the capital of Noumea.
- As an overseas department of France, they follow the same laws but have a degree of independence
- It's a really cool place and the marine wildlife is awesome. I have just returned to the main island from a resort that is in it's tiny island and has overwater rooms and I loved waking up to the sound of the waves just outside the door every morning. Pure magic!
Now, on to this week's tip, I wanted to talk about one of the most discussed topics in the group: Should you tell others you are traveling solo? And if not, what should you say instead?
But before that, have a listen to this week's podcast episode which is super interesting.
I talk to our social media manager who used to work for a large Middle Eastern airline, about all the secrets of flying. Their grooming checks, the procedures to fly with falcons and other quirks of working for a large and very well respected airline.
Should you admit you're traveling solo?
This has to be the most polarising question of all times.
Whenever it comes up in the group, responses are a mix of members saying that they never lie and just as many saying they always do, just in case.
So I decided to run an actual poll to get through the noise and find out the real numbers, and these are the results:
I personally don't recall ever lying.
If I am in a conversation with someone and they ask what I am up to, why I came, or if it's the first time in XYZ destination (typical question all taxi drivers everywhere in the world ask), I say the truth.
I was just in Croatia and the Uber driver asked me. I said it was not my first time and I was there for work, to take a scouting trip. I continued that I would meet my colleague the next day and would board the boat the following.
If I am at a restaurant or bar and I talk to the staff, I also say the truth.
I have always felt pretty proud and happy to be traveling solo, so, when asked, I made a point of saying yes, with my head held high, and explaining I enjoy it.
This helps normalise and de-stigmatise solo travel, brings awareness and maybe plants a seed in the person's head, man or woman.
I may also mention that I co-run the Solo Female Travelers online community and a women only tour company for women who travel solo.
The truth is that I have never had any weird, suspicious or unsafe situations because of this. At least not that I can remember.
However, this is not to say that you should do the same, or that all situations are safe and saying the truth is the best strategy.
If lying and pretending you are not alone, someone is coming, or your husband is waiting for you is what feels right, then you should.
I very much believe in the premise of The gift of fear, a book that explains how, before we consciously know a situation is dangerous, our subconscious already knows, and we should learn to listen to our own intuition and not dismiss it as paranoid or disproportionate.
Because of my many decades of intense travel, my intuition and gut feel is pretty well developed so, if I felt a situation would deserve a lie to stay safe, I would, without hesitation.
So, if you need / prefer / feel the need to lie, what are some of the suggestions from the community?
- "My buddies didn’t feel like joining me, they are back at the hotel, or I am meeting up with them soon"
- "My hubby will be here in a minute"
- Make a phone call and pretend to talk to someone, tell them where you are and that you are almost there
- "My boyfriend is at the hotel hungover"
- “My husband works at the embassy and is here on business, so I tagged along for the trip. He should be here soon”
- "Waiting on a friend getting ready"
- "My husband is getting the kids ready so I decided to have a drink while waiting"
- “Why are you asking?”
- “My mom’s back at the hotel , she said she’s too old for all that.”
- "No, my husband is here too" And then point at a random man far away
If you feel the situation is unsafe, the point is to make it obvious that you aren't alone, but that would not really be a deterrent to someone with bad intentions.
What is more important is that the person or people who are with you will be there imminently or are waiting for you, so it is made clear that you will be missed straightaway or would stop being a lone soon.
Tags: Solo Female Traveler
= Trip is confirmed
= SOLD OUT
= I or Meg will co-host these trips
Bali:
Oaxaca
Japan
Iceland:
Georgia:
Armenia
Scotland:
Australia
Xmas markets
Morocco
Tanzania Value safari + Zanzibar
Egypt
Tanzania Luxe safari + Zanzibar
Galapagos sailing
Caribbean island hopping
Swedish Arctic:
Ecuador & The Galapagos:
Croatia Sailing
Madagascar